Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thing 21 -- You Tube and Video sharing

It was great to learn more about You Tube, a phenomenon I thought I knew a lot about until I read the 23 Things article. Less expensive bandwidth led to video sharing, and what a change that has made in our learning and culture. Goes to show you that almost everything always comes down to money; something to think about when we advocate for internet use with lawmakers.

The non-linear nature of internet learning is something I think I am finally coming to not only accept but celebrate. Looking at various video sharing sites besides You Tube led me to explore videos by a blogger I had learned about from my first RSS experience of education bloggers, and his video gave me a great idea for my media literacy unit with 6th graders in January. It is the first step in learning to give up control, this online learning, and it hopefully helps me to do the same thing with my students -- let them have some more control so they can compete in this new era we are in.

And some of the library videos -- what a hoot. And again, I was led by the nature of You Tube related searches to one teenagers diatribe against mean librarians -- funny and yet disturbing in an eye opening way -- and then heartened by some comments that not all librarians are mean. This is a whole new world of sharing we are in now folks!

No comments: