Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thing 23 -- it's the end?!

My first thought is, "awwwww, I'm finished?" I'd love to keep going with this learning -- and one thing I've certainly learned from this experience is that I will keep going. 23 Things was an excellent structure through which we could explore technology in a meaningful way -- it wasn't willy nilly just wandering around the internet, but rather a guided tour of quality stuff where we could choose different interesting side paths then return to the main thoroughfare.

I couldn't possibly list everything I've learned from this experience. But some specifics that I'll continue to use once learned here are: RSS (once you get going it's such a wonderful learning tool), Blogging (I have set up a DCF blog at school, helped a teacher get a class blog going, and got my family keeping in touch with a blog), digital photo stuff (I constantly do mashups for fun signs and activities and family gifts!) and perhaps the thing that has most surprised me (and took the longest to get going) Facebook. I am now pleasantly addicted to Facebook and have found that my social skills and ability to connect with people has actually improved due to Facebook! I also feel better about interacting with students now that I have actually ventured into social networking instead of just dismissing it in ignorance.

If there is one area I would still like to explore that wasn't covered in 23 things it would be Twitter. I think it's another activity that will take a while to get going with but could be very interesting.

Learning in this way and trying 2.0 activities has taught me patience and acceptance of failure and mistakes. I started with such a self-conscious attitude just about the blogs I was going to post that it was really getting in my way. By allowing myself to look silly or go down dead ends or "waste" time on things that wouldn't necssarily get me to a direct result, I found a freedom I had never felt in school. I always wanted to do the assignments the right way from point a to point b and not call attention to myself by making any mistakes. I am learning to let that go and it sure makes learning more fun. I hope it also makes me a better teacher.

Thanks so much, folks at Vermont's 23 Things, for giving me the best professional (and personal) development experience I've had as a librarian.

Congratulations on a job very well done!

No comments: