Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thing 20 -- Web 2.0 Awards

This was an extremely interesting and important exercise. I had just read about the edublogs awards and forwarded that site on to my colleagues as a quick and easy way to find great education blogs. The web 2.0 awards site is even better, though. All the cool stuff in one page.

I looked at a couple of travel sites, a couple of the book sites, then I settled in to examine Swivel fully. I thought it was great. The ability to explore data and share data in one site was exciting. I am always looking for places to get data, as are many of my colleagues. The search function was OK, but it will be a bit hit or miss. It's not totally comprehensive, and there is always the chance that the data is inaccurate or crazily skewed, because of the 2.0 nature. But I liked that they include official sources who join. That raises the profile of the site in my opinion.

I could see public and school libraries using this site quite a bit.

No comments: