Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thing 17 -- Wikis

I had known about Wikis, created and used them, and was thinking I wouldn't be learning much of anything new with this assignment. Wrong again.

I love the Stephen Colbert videos, because they encapsulate the pitfalls of Wikis -- a lot of people sharing and collaborating does leave us open to a lot of bad information and just plain silly stuff, but on the other hand, getting to see the Simpsons wiki shows a great upside -- passionate people can create a great source of information on topics that are not generally covered in traditional media.

I haven't seen wikis work all that well in my school yet -- just haven't taken off. A class blog has already worked faster and better for the students to put work up than a wiki we created last year. And we have google apps, which I could see as a more effective way of teachers collaborating than a wiki.

BUT---I had a DCF blog going, and so I added a general book review blog and it hasn't worked at all. A schoolwide book review wiki would be much better, I think. I'm going to take down the blog and try a wiki.

No comments: